Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Leap

I have always wondered what it would be like if I ever lost my job.  After considering all options I have decided that I would really like to work for myself.  The past couple of days have presented me with an opportunity to finally take the leap to self employed.  As the events leading to my termination at Safelite were unfolding I went through the shock and grief process of losing my job, my lifeline.

Now I'm past it.  I look forward to the challenges of being a small business owner.  I am well into the process of setting up the business structure for Elements Auto Glass Repair and Replacement.  I am fortunate to have been able to work with a large number of great people in a variety of roles.  Ten years ago I was a young hard luck kid with little experience and training in anything.  I had a break in that a cousin was married to an independent auto glass technician.  He didn't pay me much, but he got me started.

When he had problems and had to lay me off, I went to work for Triumph Auto Glass.  I worked for them as a technician, CSR, operations trainer, and store manager.  As a trainer I traveled extensively and had the opportunity to see differences in markets.  It also allowed me to interact with more people whose experience I learned from.  I didn't always agree with those folks, but I respect them for their knowledge and experience and what they shared with me.  As a store manager, the challenges were many and the experience helped me grow.  On April 1st 2008, when I first walked into office and started my day with the news that Diamond Triumph was in bankruptcy I thought it was the greatest April Fools Day joke ever.  Turns out it wasn't.

I had heard a lot of bad things about Safelite working at Diamond, both in the official party line with the steering lawsuit, but also from former employees.  I was floored when I heard the news that Belron was buying DT.  I went in with an open mind anyway and for two years it worked out.  I had opportunities for new experiences.  Even as I part Safelite, I say this:  I appreciate the experience.  As an independent, I am going to take the tack that I don't need to compete with Safelite.  I believe that I can live comfortably off of their crumbs so to speak.  They are working hard to create delight for the customer.  They are spending money on technology platforms that are useful and relevant to our industry.

This industry has to be about safety first, but also about providing value to the customer.  I will rely on all of my experiences to ensure that my customers always get more than they expect.  As I write this I am confident that my leap from corporate to independent will pay off.  Maybe someday I can sell my company to Belron and retire nicely.

No comments: